PDA

View Full Version : We've lost another Hero

OUR P51
04-28-12, 03:48 PM
To all my fellow Mustang Enthusiasts...

Major Tadeusz "Ted" Skowronek passed away on Feb 27th.

Those of us who had a chance to meet Major Tadeusz "Ted" Skowronek, the WWII P-51 Pilot of "Diana-Myte" at the CAF "Gathering of Legends", "Buckets, Blowers and Bombers" and "Mustangs & Mustangs" shows have a chance to pay our last respects to "Ted".

Below is from an email from "Ted's" "Wingman" Paul. I have emailed with Paul who gave me permission to pass this on to all of you.

Dear Friends of Ted,

We have confirmed the plans for our gatherings to send Ted off, with our love and admiration, on his Final Flight.

When: Monday April 30, 2012
Where: National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona
23029 N. Cave Creek Rd.
Phoenix AZ 86301
Time: Cemetery service starts at 10:00 AM
it is a big place - suggest you arrive by 9:45 AM so you can locate the service "shelter" site (there are 5)
the site assigned for Ted's service will be on an electronic sign as you enter the Cemetery
the military honors will take about 15 minutes
by 10:20 we will leave the "shelter" area to drive to our gathering place at Deer Valley Airport

Please join us and other family members for food, drink and a celebration of Ted's time with us:

Where: Deer Valley Airport Restaurant
702 W. Deer Valley Rd.
Phoenix AZ 85027

A private meeting/eating area has been reserved for us overlooking the runways.

It is inside the terminal building at Deer Valley Airport
approximately 5 miles West of the Cemetery
and located on Deer Valley Rd. which intersects with Cave Creek Rd.
1/2 mile South of the entrance to the Cemetary on Cave Creek Rd.
a "Q T" gas station is on the NE corner.

We look forward to all in attendance sharing how "FANTASTIC!!" (one of Ted's favorite sayings) it has been to have had Ted as part of our lives.

Paul has confirmed through another very good Warbird friend of mine that Paul has arranged for a fly over of at least two P-51s, so the Friends of "Ted" can hear the wonderful song of those Rolls Royce Merlins one more time for "Ted"!

I emailed with Paul regarding having some Mustang cars on hand as a four wheeled tribute to "Ted" and Paul agreed it would add to "Ted's" celebration. Hence this post. Any of you that can make it are welcome, and you all have my apologies for the very short notice.

I hope this map will upload to you correctly. Committal Service Shelter 2 in the Southeast corner is where we'll be.

Thank you all.
Mark

OUR P51
04-28-12, 03:49 PM
P.S. http://www.354thpmfg.com/TedSkowronek_part1.html

Jacostang
04-28-12, 10:46 PM
GodSpeed Ted and we thank you for all your service!!

IansBAJ
04-30-12, 03:25 PM
When I was in Florida I was on an everglade tour and our tour bus guide was a vet that flew the P-51. I asked him if he had one with a merlin engine in it and he looked at me and his eyes lit up and he said. It sure did! Those guys loved those planes and I am glad Ted was able to go out a hero and have so many people that love him and dedicate a ceremony with everything that they did there. I just saw this now or else I would have definately been there to pay respects. I not only love mustang cars but have always love the planes too and it only makes it that much cooler to have a mustang knowing that is why they are called what they are.