PDA

View Full Version : Aspiration Question

I Eat Camaros
02-14-12, 10:37 AM
I have an 2011 5.0 with the stock H pipe & Flowmasters. A couple of people have said that an X pipe configuration would allow the engine to breath better! So, I bought an X pipe, but then I read that the X pipe could cause a loss of torque! Damn Sam!! I don't even know what torque is!! LOL! Should I go ahead and exchange out the H for the X, or just leave it alone? Tomorrow I'm putting a new Boss 302 manifold on, so I want to get the full potential from the mod that I can! thanks in advance.

IansBAJ
02-14-12, 12:57 PM
If you don't know what torque is you won't miss the amount of it you would lose with an X pipe.

Rick Shopmier
02-14-12, 01:06 PM
Ok Camaro muncher, as always you should research before purchase. When mixing OE with aftermarket or different aftermarket suppliers there is always a risk of negative results. As you watch your torque swirle down the toilet with the bum wipe horsepower following, multiplied by net dollars wasted for the whole thing, but it looks good is the only result. Drive bro.

Blackmagic1
02-14-12, 03:03 PM
Plus a xpipe gives a higher raspy sound,compared to a H that is more "throaty" sounding...

I Eat Camaros
02-14-12, 03:26 PM
If you don't know what torque is you won't miss the amount of it you would lose with an X pipe.I was just kidding about the torque!!

I Eat Camaros
02-14-12, 03:29 PM
Ok Camaro muncher, as always you should research before purchase. When mixing OE with aftermarket or different aftermarket suppliers there is always a risk of negative results. As you watch your torque swirle down the toilet with the bum wipe horsepower following, multiplied by net dollars wasted for the whole thing, but it looks good is the only result. Drive bro.How come you didn't tell me all that when you recommended I put the X pipe on Mr. Shopmier.. Sir?

Rick Shopmier
02-14-12, 04:29 PM
Carefull munchkin, you have me confused with someone else, I would not suggest some mod I have not tried myself, and I have not done the X, only the H and have been happy. I could only verify that others have said it works, I dunno if that is true. Are there dyno #'s that say something, and what cats and muffs are they using to get the result. You don't want your car to sound like a Shelby 500 with it's Chinese New Year exhaust. :biglaugh:

trucker
02-14-12, 05:34 PM
leave the 5.0 exhaust alone.............................

BurnTire
02-14-12, 05:48 PM
Is it a catted x or an off road mid pipe?

Stick with the cats.

brentsSVT
02-15-12, 08:18 AM
Just do a nice catback. If your hell bent on dealing out the mid section then I think you'll enjoy both. The x will be more of a raspy European sound when the h is old school power. Well more or less. Oh I say screw the intake put a whipple 2.9 on it.

Wharf Rat
02-15-12, 11:36 PM
The HP/TQ differences between an H or X pipe a neglegible on a street car. Let the sound you prefer dictate that choice. There is great a thread in the 2011+ section on svtperformance.com with real dyno numbers comparing the 2 that you should look up.

What you should be more concerned about is the Boss intake. You will give up some mid-range TQ but gain a shitload of horses up top. If you aren't really racing your car you might not want it.

Here's my thread on mine...

http://www.highperformancestangs.com/forums/showthread.php/13387-Boss-Intake-install-and-dyno