PDA

View Full Version : V6 tranny in 83 mustang

brian84fox
08-10-10, 08:35 PM
New to this site, just bought a 83 and the person before swapped in a 351w but kept the V6 tranny thats in it. I would like to know if its a AOD or C5. Does anyone know what it would be? I dont plan on having it rebuilt till spring but would like to be able to get prices on it now. I spent 45min carefully scraping the painted over door id sticker only to find out it was a door off a 87. Or is there a site to decode the vin if it has a tranny code in it. The shifter goes 1-2-D if it helps. Thank you!

SONIC03SNAKE
08-11-10, 08:15 AM
If you look at the transmission pan, the shapes are completely different between the two. If you can, post up a photo and I can tell you what it is.

brian84fox
08-12-10, 08:32 PM
Can do, the guy i bought it from knows nothing about the car, he had a friend build it and he wont return my calls. I do know it has a custom made aluminum drive shaft. That makes me wonder what tranny it has. A junk yard by me has a ton of C4's for $175 exchange so if its a A4ld then i will go that route and build a C4.

brian84fox
08-29-10, 07:54 PM
Here's a pic, if you cant tell i have more that might work. The pan has 11 bolts if that helps. If it is a C5 will the C4 valve body and everything work in it?