PDA

View Full Version : New guy from Iowa

brian84fox
08-09-10, 09:57 PM
Hi, i have a 84 mustang i bought from a guy that was doing a v6 to 351w swap for his daughter and she decided she didnt want it after he put $2000 into the 351. It sat for 4 years and i bought it for $600. Body is in excellent shape but needs paint. The motor turns over and its all ready to fire but needs ignition box. Still has the v6 tranny, AOD i assume, they painted over the veh id tag on door so idk. A friend does tranny work and said he would rebuild it with new bands and shift kit for $1000. But trying to decide on T5 swap. Its gonna be driven couple times a month on the street and not raced much. This is an excellent site from what ive had a chance to look at.

BurnTire
08-09-10, 10:00 PM
Welcome to the Site! Decisions decisions. I went from a T-56 to an Auto, but I go to the drag strip a bunch.

brian84fox
08-10-10, 04:02 PM
Thank You! Do you know of any place that sell a kit for a swap like this? All ive found is AMP in Arizona, but kinda want to shop around. Ive gotten 2 quotes to rebuild my AOD, 1 was $1200 and another was $1400, thats with no converter. So i figure if its gonna be that much might as well swap. Ive found a rebuild kit for the AOD at Jegs and Summit for $500, is it that hard to rebuild these? Sorry for all the ? I had a 88 5.0 back in 95 i rebuilt but just did stock resto and had other ppl do the major engine/trans work but kinda wanna do it myself this time. My plan is to get it running and drive around block atleast before winter to see how brakes, rearend and driving is to see what i need to do this winter and also do tranny swap this winter. I love this site so far, and again thanks.

Jacostang
08-10-10, 09:38 PM
Welcome!!