PDA

View Full Version : 2008 procharged GT overheating

Woody627
06-06-10, 01:54 AM
Just started having problems tonight. Car will overheat unless it stays moving (possible indication of bad fans), and there is a wire-burning smell every once in a while. Fluid levels are all good. The ProCharger is making clicking noises...almost sounds like a bad pulley?

Thing is, the previous owner had all the work done at AMP Performance, and they don't have the best track record. This is the first time anything has gone wrong. I've owned it for about 2.5 months.

Any suggestions of what to check/where to take it? I'm stationed in Tucson with the AF. Wish Stage 3 or someone was right around the corner...

Mr. Austin
06-06-10, 02:45 AM
Personally i would look at new fans maybe adding a fan on the front to push air through when at an idle. Wire burning could be a bad relay that is killing itself. Or its flipping on and off so much it is burning. Could be a number of things but someone with more knowledge will obviously have a better input.

05mustangman
06-06-10, 02:47 AM
also you may want to check and see if anything may have got caught up on your intercooler or radiator blocking the airflow. we had this exact same problem on our bmw and that was the problem.

SloSVO
06-06-10, 10:05 AM
you need to see if you fans even come on...also see if any plastic bags are stuck like what he said^^^^^^^^ see if the fans come on with the a/c on.. they pretty come on immediately with the a/c... the burning smell is something to look a asap.. burning smells are like shit smells.. if you smell it its there..lol..

Woody627
06-06-10, 12:25 PM
Okay, I'll have to give the intercooler a good look over today. Maybe now that everything has cooled over night I can start looking at the wiring too. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Edit: Anyone know what the noises could be on the ProCharger? Any idea of where I could go to have it checked?

BurnTire
06-06-10, 12:39 PM
Okay, I'll have to give the intercooler a good look over today. Maybe now that everything has cooled over night I can start looking at the wiring too. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Edit: Anyone know what the noises could be on the ProCharger? Any idea of where I could go to have it checked?

Could be something starting to fail internally on the blower. AZ Dyno Chip is the local fully service performance shop that is a site sponsor. They could take a look at it for you.

Woody627
06-06-10, 12:54 PM
Could be something starting to fail internally on the blower. AZ Dyno Chip is the local fully service performance shop that is a site sponsor. They could take a look at it for you.

They're in the Phoenix area, right? Is there anywhere to go here in Tucson? I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it up there right now with all these problems, and hauling it would probably be expensive unless my buddy's trailer would hold it.

BurnTire
06-06-10, 03:11 PM
They're in the Phoenix area, right? Is there anywhere to go here in Tucson? I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it up there right now with all these problems, and hauling it would probably be expensive unless my buddy's trailer would hold it.

Yes near Firebird Raceway.

http://www.arizonadynochip.com

Woody627
06-06-10, 05:58 PM
Cool, I'll have to check them out.

Figured out the problem today...my fan definitely wasn't working, but the fan is in perfect shape. It's a bad relay (explains the burning smell) and/or bad wiring. The dealership isn't open today, so we just rigged a direct connection from the fan to the battery so it's always running. Just something to hold me over to get it home, then to the dealership in the morning. The ride home from where I left it was a little scary, but with the fan operating it kept it right at the normal operating temperature.

As for the ProCharger, it seems to be a bearing that just needs to be oiled. When it's at idle it makes a little racket, but once you give it some gas it sounds just how it should, and I haven't noticed any change in performance (though I have been babying it with the overheat issue).

Thanks for all the help, guys! Now I just need to find a place to put on my replacement driver's side skirt. Got distracted by a female passenger when I first got the car =)

BurnTire
06-06-10, 06:01 PM
Cool, I'll have to check them out.

Figured out the problem today...my fan definitely wasn't working, but the fan is in perfect shape. It's a bad relay (explains the burning smell) and/or bad wiring. The dealership isn't open today, so we just rigged a direct connection from the fan to the battery so it's always running. Just something to hold me over to get it home, then to the dealership in the morning. The ride home from where I left it was a little scary, but with the fan operating it kept it right at the normal operating temperature.

As for the ProCharger, it seems to be a bearing that just needs to be oiled. When it's at idle it makes a little racket, but once you give it some gas it sounds just how it should, and I haven't noticed any change in performance (though I have been babying it with the overheat issue).

Thanks for all the help, guys! Now I just need to find a place to put on my replacement driver's side skirt. Got distracted by a female passenger when I first got the car =)

Post up a picture of the distraction. LOL

I would suggest taking a video clip of the blower noise and send it over to procharger to see what they have to say.

Woody627
06-06-10, 06:20 PM
Post up a picture of the distraction. LOL

I would suggest taking a video clip of the blower noise and send it over to procharger to see what they have to say.

Yeah, that's a good idea, I'll have to do that.

I'll see what I can do with the pics haha

Woody627
06-07-10, 03:31 PM
Took it to the dealer. At first they were worried about hooking up the diagnostic machine to it with all the mods the car has, cause they thought it would wipe the PCM. Got over that hurdle, went and ran some other errands, and when I came back it was good to go. They just swapped out the fuse and didn't charge me anything. It's not under warranty and that wasn't even the dealer I got it from. My lucky day I guess. Hopefully the fuse doesn't blow again, but I'm thinking about installing a secondary fan with a switch on my dash/console so I can have a backup, and with AZ's temps that might be a good idea anyway.

BurnTire
06-07-10, 03:37 PM
Cool. Glad it all worked out.

Woody627
09-16-10, 01:11 AM
So three months later it's time for round 2. Overheated a couple nights ago, and it's not just a fuse this time. It might just be the ProCharger fan is just poor quality, or AMP jacked up the wiring. The fan is not coming on at all, and when it gets to the temperature that it should kick on, the fuse blows. Gonna drive it while it's cool in the morning to the base and start taking the front end apart to investigate it further. =/

BurnTire
09-16-10, 01:21 AM
So three months later it's time for round 2. Overheated a couple nights ago, and it's not just a fuse this time. It might just be the ProCharger fan is just poor quality, or AMP jacked up the wiring. The fan is not coming on at all, and when it gets to the temperature that it should kick on, the fuse blows. Gonna drive it while it's cool in the morning to the base and start taking the front end apart to investigate it further. =/

If you can't get it figured out take it to Devin at PSR Tuning.

Woody627
09-16-10, 09:12 AM
Thanks man, I'll keep that in mind. Not sure how I'd get it there though, as I'm in Tucson. Someone needs to open a shop here!

fazm
09-18-10, 09:30 PM
kinda sounds like a bad fan motor. if right when its suppose to kick on, and the fuse pops, the motor is drawing too many amps (indicating it is bad)

this is why i love having the power probe III and a dmm at all times lol

http://www.etooldirect.com/power-probe-3-with-a-built-in-voltmeter-power-probe-iii-pp319ftc.html?source=googleps

pick one up, good thing to have around :)