PDA

View Full Version : Got my gears installed/AZ Diff review

scooter3
03-20-10, 04:43 PM
I finally got my 3.73 gears installed. I had AZ Diff do the work because the shop that was going to do the install flaked on me. I have not had a chance to really notice any improvement until I get them broken in. I will say that AZ Diff did a great job. I had heard good and bad things about the shop, but Bill was very helpful and did the work today even though it was a Saturday. Took it in at 9a and it was done by noon. He was very helpful and gave me a lot of information on how to properly break them in. I need to go back after about 3000 miles to have the gear oil changed. Overall I had a pretty good experience. Now I just need to rack up about 500 miles, before I can see what they can do.

scooter3
03-20-10, 06:15 PM
Just got back from a lightly spirited drive and I can say there is a lot more pick up from the car then before. The car moves through 1st much faster and 5th gear does not seem so low. Another couple of days and I can really get into it to see what it does. Can't wait.

05mustangman
03-21-10, 01:02 AM
what gears did you have in there originally? 3.73 are a nice gears choice! you know not too high rpms when your cruisin at like 75 but quick acceleration!

scooter3
03-21-10, 06:41 AM
what gears did you have in there originally? 3.73 are a nice gears choice! you know not too high rpms when your cruisin at like 75 but quick acceleration!

Stock gears, 3.27 I think. Yeah I debated 4.10's, but I drive way too many highway miles for that plus I may put a SC on one day.

Jodaddy
03-21-10, 01:27 PM
good choice i still like my 4.10's:biglaugh:

scooter3
03-21-10, 01:41 PM
good choice i still like my 4.10's:biglaugh:

Thanks. I just could not bring myself to getting the 4.10's. Although, riding in your car was a trip. I hope to get out and have some fun as soon as they are broken in a bit.

6-Speed
04-21-10, 09:24 PM
What brand of gears did you have installed? Do you notice any gear whine while cruising?

scooter3
04-22-10, 04:55 AM
What brand of gears did you have installed? Do you notice any gear whine while cruising?

FRPP, PM sent.

Stanger00
04-22-10, 06:53 AM
Glad you had a good experience. I went from Motive 3.73's to FRPP 3.73's along with some other work and all gear whine is gone. AZ Diff set me up good. I think my motive gears werent matched up correctly from the manufacture.

Ruckus46gt
04-23-10, 12:19 PM
I have never broken in gears. Well correction I have real quick heat cycle then time to have fun. I always used frpp gears never got any whine until 4.30 gears, but then again going that high your gonna get a little whine.

05mustangman
04-23-10, 08:48 PM
Very nice! The frpp gears are very nice gears.

phatkat
06-21-10, 10:30 PM
..so I guess AZ Diff is the place to go!
I wonder if they could get me in and out in the same day, so I don't have to get a room?
I'm gonna have to check it out.

Glad you had a good experience! How do the 3.73's feel after break-in?

Blackmagic1
06-21-10, 11:19 PM
John did mine at AZ Dyno Chip in a little over a hour.No whine, been ABSOLUTELY no problem ! Just have yer gears, oil,etc.. ready to go.Give'em a ring to setup a appt. an they should get ya in an out. (They're a sponsor on this site,easy to find)

scooter3
06-22-10, 06:36 AM
..so I guess AZ Diff is the place to go!
I wonder if they could get me in and out in the same day, so I don't have to get a room?
I'm gonna have to check it out.

Glad you had a good experience! How do the 3.73's feel after break-in?

AZ Diff got me in on a Saturday morning and it was done by noon. Changing the gears made a huge improvement, but I may now be going 4.10's. It was suggested that I go 4.10's in the first place and now I know why. No matter what you go with you will love the feel. Good luck!

Mr. Austin
06-22-10, 01:20 PM
Dont mind me asking how much did it run you for the gear install?

phatkat
06-22-10, 03:11 PM
X 2 on the cost, please

scooter3
06-23-10, 06:16 AM
X 2 on the cost, please

If you are asking about AZ Diff they charged me $200. I brought them everything though. Gears, install/bearing kit and oil. I am going back to have them change the oil in a few weeks so I will see how the gears are holding up. As of right now no issues.

phatkat
06-23-10, 11:00 AM
That's a good price! ...and in and out the same day? That's what I need!

scooter3
06-23-10, 04:12 PM
That's a good price! ...and in and out the same day? That's what I need!

I thought it was a great price. They have a location on 27thave and Deervalley and Saturday appointments can be made. Call and talk to Bill.

Darkhorse04
07-02-10, 10:36 AM
Glad you had a good experience. I went from Motive 3.73's to FRPP 3.73's along with some other work and all gear whine is gone. AZ Diff set me up good. I think my motive gears werent matched up correctly from the manufacture.

Very nice! The frpp gears are very nice gears.

Sorry guys but did you know that Motive is the one that makes the FRPP's gears?? I have always chosen to buy and install Motive since they take the guess work out of pinion depth. When they sale the Ford Racing ones they don't put the depth on the pinion and its up to you to find it. I have in stall a number on Motive gears and never had them whine.

Darkhorse04
07-02-10, 10:40 AM
AZ Diff got me in on a Saturday morning and it was done by noon. Changing the gears made a huge improvement, but I may now be going 4.10's. It was suggested that I go 4.10's in the first place and now I know why. No matter what you go with you will love the feel. Good luck!

If you have a 99-up I would definitely go with 4.10's! The rpm difference is minimal to a 3.73 and the feel is way better. But that's just me but if your going to put your car on the track then 4.10's all the way.

Jodaddy
07-02-10, 12:23 PM
x2 i love mine