PDA

View Full Version : How to tighten steering?

Mr. Austin
02-24-10, 08:52 AM
On my 69 mustang I do have power steering. Just wondering how i could tighten it up. When you have the wheel centered it will go either way very loose about 15* either way. I noticed at work e carry the bushings for these that promises to tighten it up. Any words of advise? Has been this way since i bought it in 2000. Need to get tires Aligned and this would probably help. ~ Thanks Mucho in advance.

Wades GT
02-24-10, 09:43 AM
Get stronger!!!:biglaugh::hi:

DSALEEN
02-24-10, 10:09 AM
:balls1: Work out

Mr. Austin
02-24-10, 12:31 PM
Any serious Answers? They would be much appreciated. Its the steering not strength. Power or no power it would be loose.

Rick Shopmier
02-24-10, 01:50 PM
Chances are that your steering gears are worn. The gear unit can be rebuilt and since you have a Mustang later than 66 steering gear box can be removed and rebuilt or exchanged for a rebuilt. Check around. Also check your tie rods and other steering associate components. If when you are driving the car and it tends to drift and you constantly have to correct then you have wear somewhere. Steering gear boxes are expensive and cores are needed to get the price down so be sure that your problem is in the gear box. Don't you work in an autoparts store????????

Wades GT
02-24-10, 02:55 PM
Any serious Answers? They would be much appreciated. Its the steering not strength. Power or no power it would be loose.

NO:biglaugh:

CCStang
02-24-10, 04:55 PM
Before all else, check all your steering components as Rick suggested. Tie rod ends, idler arm, upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings can contribute to the sloppiness in the steering or wheel play when the car is moving. All components are easy check!

Steering box......
You should at least attempt to adjust the play in the steering box prior to doing a R and R.

The Adjustment Screw lowers the Sector Shaft into the housing and forces the Sector Shaft Teeth to mesh with the teeth on the Rack Block. This screw also sets the amount of end play of the Sector Shaft. This screw must have enough clearance to allow the Sector Shaft to turn without binding on the screw, but not so much that there is excessive end play in the Sector Shaft to affect gear mesh. The Adjustment Screw is located on the top and is set into place by a lock nut.

Honest enough answer for ya?

Mr. Austin
02-25-10, 01:25 AM
Yes! I like them! I was driving and it does drift and i thought maybe tire alignment. But with out moving the tires you can throw/rock the wheel either way. So i figured it would be something to ask you Ford folk as I dont know these cars to in depth.