PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel leak?

Mr. Austin
01-06-10, 10:46 PM
Came home after a nice drive to this. Looks like it has been doing it for a little while. My first thought is slave cylinder? some factors trouble me though. First off i am not missing an brake fluid. when i hit the brakes the car does pull it to the left which means i am having brake issues. No grinding or anything but does seem like a loss of pressure. I checked the bleed valve and it is tight. anything else it could be?

BurnTire
01-06-10, 10:50 PM
Does it stink? Could be gear oil from the rear end coming around the bearing / seal.

Mr. Austin
01-06-10, 10:53 PM
And that was my other thought.... It does kinda stink. smells kinda like burned rubber every once in a while.. Not strong like rubber but does have a smell..And the whole top of the drum is dry which is where the cylinder is.

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 12:41 AM
Just thought about this. on my way home i was on the highway doing about 65-70 and when playing with it it stuttered and was feeling jumpy as if the tranny had some play in it. the motor sounded fine for the most part except dancing with the tranny. could that be because i have little oil left in the pumpkin?

trucker
01-07-10, 06:41 AM
looks like a rear wheel grease seal leak pull the wheel and the drum and see where it is comming from. also if it is the wheel seal you will also have to make sure the air vent on top of the rear end is open and not clogged to prevent this from happening again

Wades GT
01-07-10, 08:05 AM
Anal leakage!!!!:yikes: What have you been doing Austin?:z7shysterical:

Just Kidding:hi:. That is a axle seal leak, with that fluid gone and you don't see any brake fluid missing that leave only one option.

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 09:39 AM
So would it make the drive train feel funky when driving without any fluids? how would you go about puting fluid in and the seal? i am going ot pull it apart right now.

Wades GT
01-07-10, 09:44 AM
So would it make the drive train feel funky when driving without any fluids? how would you go about puting fluid in and the seal? i am going ot pull it apart right now.

Yes it would. There should be a fill plug on the front upper side of the diff housing.

Jodaddy
01-07-10, 11:13 AM
your over thinkin stuff brotha!! If it is what wade said you dont need to pull the thing apart. Hopefully its an easy fix so u can go with us in Feb.

SloSVO
01-07-10, 03:35 PM
this is a two hour repair tops..and half a six

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 06:03 PM
your over thinkin stuff brotha!! If it is what wade said you dont need to pull the thing apart. Hopefully its an easy fix so u can go with us in Feb.

Your dumb (just teasin!)...Jo it is leaking. you cant fill it up and expect it to go away lol. Its leaking.. Unless you are talking about something else lol

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 06:06 PM
this is a two hour repair tops..and half a six

Well it has taken since 9. Lol BUT i had a dentist appointment, no beer till about half an hour ago, and the part didnt come in till 7. Now last question i got a new bearing since i was already in there and figured it wouldnt hurt got it pressed on and all put back together. now how can i fill the pumkin? on a 9" rear there is a plug to fill it back up and usually all you have to do it fill it up to the plug.. I cant seem to find the plug. on the back side there looks to be like a peice of metal welded into a small hole but the rear has never been messed with so this cant be anything.. Can i fill it from the pressure release valve? Not sure what else i can do. 8" rear end Fyi Thanks in advance!

trucker
01-07-10, 06:19 PM
Austin
quit whining and just fix it
clean the air vent pull the axle put in a new seal fill the rear end and be done with it
oh and don't forget to clean the brake shoes off

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 06:21 PM
haha ur funny

Wades GT
01-07-10, 09:23 PM
Are you done yet?

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 09:28 PM
Yeah i got it done. Took it to the fry's around the corner and to work to drop off some loaner tools. Didnt see much but i guess we will have to see in the morning. The drive line felt much better tho.

Wades GT
01-07-10, 09:57 PM
cool

Mr. Austin
01-07-10, 10:05 PM
I just put what do you call it? If you anal is leaking what do you San Franciscans call it? An Anal Plug? I think that is the term :P